Drop the Mic: ACEP’s New Speaker Competition
Be a Rock Star!
We’ll give you 10 minutes to teach any Emergency medicine-related topic to a national audience of your peers and an expert panel of Education Committee members. Rock stars may earn the chance to speak at the following year's Scientific Assembly. The Best of the best wins a guaranteed lecture slot at ACEP24. Drive up your odds of being the Fan Favorite by bringing all of your friends to the show to cheer you on and vote for you!
Step 1: Read the Rules and Requirements for Eligibility
- Eligibility: Any ACEP member from senior year residents (3rd of PGY1-3 programs & 4th of PGY1-4 programs) to retirement, board eligible, or board-certified emergency physicians that have never spoken at a national ACEP Scientific Assembly. Previous participants of the New Speakers Forum (renamed in 2017) or ACEP Drop the Mic! at Scientific Assembly are not eligible.
- Application: Applications will open on June 1, and will remain open until July 16. Don’t Miss Your Big Break! Applications will include filling out the below form and submitting a 2-minute course video. Applicants may only submit one application. The application MUST be completed in its entirety for consideration.
- Selection: Provided eligibility is met, 8 speakers will be chosen to submit a 10-minute presentation along with a course description and objectives.
- Notification: The selected 8 speakers will be notified by e-mail on July 20 and will have until July 31 to submit your 10-minute presentation.
- Voting: Your 10-minute presentation will be hosted on the ACEP23 website, where the public will vote on the best presentations. Voting will take place August 7-20.
- Scheduling: Before submitting your presentation video, please ensure that you will be available on October 11, 2023, to participate in the live presentation, in the event you are selected to move on to the final round of the competition.
- Presentation Rules & Format: Speakers are allowed 10 minutes for their presentation. No exceptions. Presentations will be followed by a brief Q&A and Ed Com Expert Panel Evaluation. Speakers must comply with the ACEP Presentation Policy, adhere to ACCME guidelines, and maintain respect for multicultural membership and patients. No product sales are permitted.
- Final 4: The final 4 will be announced on the last day of voting (August 20). The final 4 will then give their presentation live on October 11, at ACEP23 in Philadelphia.
- Award: One speaker will be selected as the winner of the ACEP Drop the Mic Superstar Award at the conclusion of the New Speakers Forum. The winner will be selected by members of the ACEP Educational Meetings Committee based on their observation and audience evaluation data (see Evaluation Criteria).
Summary of Deadlines
- Opening application date: June 1, 2023
- Closing application date: July 16, 2023
- Elite 8 applicants notified: July 20, 2023
- Elite 8 applicants to upload presentations: by or before July 31, 2023
- First day of Member voting for top 4: August 7, 2023
- Last day of Member voting for top 4: August 20, 2023
- Final 4 selection notification: August 24, 2023
- Final 4 speaking date: October 11, 2023
- Opening: Did the speaker grab attention with a case or problem, give a memorable title, establish their expertise, and provide disclosures?
- Content: Did the speaker provide evidence-based feasible objectives, then discuss each topic logically?
- Engagement: Did the speaker consistently pull in the audience with appropriate questions and humor?
- Slides: Did the slides contain only essential words, as well as appropriate key images and transitions, needed to reinforce the speaker's story?
- Voice: Did the speaker articulate clearly, without filler words, in an energetic, yet authentic voice?
- Presence: Did the speaker's appearance and body language appropriately convey competence, free of nervous or distracting movements?
- Conclusion: Did the speaker summarize the objectives, end the story, answer questions, as well as provide reference and follow-up info appropriately?
The ACEP Educational Meetings Committee has the ultimate authority to choose which individuals will be designated to speak. The committee will review applications to ensure speakers meet eligibility requirements. They will also monitor the presentations to ensure that all speakers end on time, terminating any speaker with inappropriate content or remarks. All decisions of the Educational Meetings Committee are final and cannot be appealed.
All applicants will be notified on September 3. The ACEP Educational Meetings Committee has the ultimate authority to choose which individuals will be designated to speak. The committee will review applications to ensure speakers meet eligibility requirements. They will also monitor the presentations to ensure that all speakers end on time, terminating any speaker with inappropriate content or remarks. All decisions of the Educational Meetings Committee are final and cannot be appealed.